Saturday 19 April 2008

Barbershops of the world, part 18

Just in case you hadn't realised yet, we're in TOKYO! I love it here.

Anyway, it's the day before Debs's birthday, so I gotta get my act together and cut this fuzz. After a few hours wandering around Shibuya, Harajuku and Omote Sando, we stumble upon a barber shop. We're starving hungry, and on the lookout for a noodle joint that will serve us some food without the "pork bone" broth, but I just have to take the opportunity to get trimmed.

It's all a bit different. No grades, just length, so I get 1mm on the face ("ichi miri"), and 9mm on the head. "Neck shave" - the barber has some functional english - is expertly performed with hot towels, proper foam and a very sharp razor. I come out looking smart and wondering where the hell all the hair on my scalp is going. Even my widow's peak is starting to recede...


Highlights were the hot towels on head and neck, the shaving off of my ear fluff with a cut throat razor(!) and - save the best til last - the ceremonial offer of a fag from a wooden box of cigs at the end of the session! Pure class.

Cost: Y2800 (EUR 17)
Cut quality: 9/10
Fear factor: 0/10

I declined the cigarette, BTW.

Ben

No comments: