Thursday 13 March 2008

Up and up we went, higher and higher, until suddenly...

So, yes, I recovered from my bout of sickness thanks to some excellent nursing from Debs.

And a couple of days later there we were in the hills above Chiang Rai, trekking like our lives depended on it. It was nearly enough to give me a relapse, seriously... we were led by Nui, and accompanied by these two strapping young German lads who basically ran up a really, really steep and rocky jungle hill for an hour and a half, while we blundered blindly behind them, stumbling like fools and sweating bullets.

By the time we got to the rather sweet little waterfall I had nothing left in my legs and had completely lost the power of speech! And then we climbed even higher! I thought I would have to be choppered out.


OK, not really, but ouch - I was not ready for such exertions so soon after the illness. Debs also suffered a bit, but not as badly as me.

We finally arrived at the top of the hill where some locals fed us water and tea and prodded Debs until she bought a load of little trinkets off them. Home via a hot spa (fully clothed for modesty) then back to Chiang Rai where we slept the sleep of the righteous.

An awesome achievement to round off our stay in Thailand.

Ben

No comments: