Saturday 7 June 2008

Barbershops of the world, part 22

One of the ways you know you're paying too much in India is if you say: "How much is this? 20 rupees?" and the guy smiles, wobbles his head and replies: "Whatever you like, sir".

So began my beard trim at "National Hair Dresses", Hospet. Not the nicest place in the world, but this was one of the funniest barberings I've had. The shop was instantly mobbed by curious locals, chatting with Debs about hair dye (while trying to look down her top), while my guy did a decent job of number oneing my cheeks and chin.


He even did the moustache nicely. Debs got a free cup of tea from the nutty guy next door and took yet more pointless photos of most of the onlookers at their request.

Cost Rs 30 (EUR 0.50)
Cut quality 7/10
Fear factor 2/10 - bit tense at the initial mob action; relaxed after a few minutes when it was clear that they were only hassling Debs, not me :-)

In the end I tipped him an extra Rs 10 for all the fun, then went back to the hotel to shower and watch Deja Vu starring Denzel Washington. What a day!

Ben

No comments: